Tuesday 4 June 2013

Suffolk

I renewed my love of Suffolk last week on holiday by the coast and spotted a few artists that I wanted to share…
The first of which is Suffolk’s Maggi Hambling, often pictured with her customary fag-in-mouth. Hambling’s wild wave paintings are everything I love about the sea; full of colour and ferocity. Her enormous steel sculpture of a scallop on Aldeburgh beach is a piece to stop and sit by. The sculpture was made in honour of Suffolk composer, Benjamin Britten, and is inscribed with the words "I hear those voices that will not be drowned" from Britton’s opera Peter Grimes which he wrote for life partner, Peter Pears. I lay on the pebbles to take in the enormity of this powerful and romantic sea sculpture.

Peter Grimes will be performed on the beach as part of the Aldeburgh music festival beginning 7 June.





Another artist whose work I spotted in several venues during my stay in Suffolk was that of David Kirk. His pop arty graphic style depicts some of the well-loved scenes of the county.



The third artist I wanted to mention is Suffolk-based Theronda Hoffman, whose work I spotted in the art Gallery at the Suffolk county show. Hoffman is owner of Kesgrave Arts in Ipswich and works in a variety of mediums. I love the sense of freedom her loose sketchy style brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment